escapologists at home

The New Escapologist!  Oo la la!  Need I say more?  No.  But it looks like I am going to anyway.

I’ve mentioned this lovely magazine before here, and here, after they published a little ditty I wrote in Issue 6: Against the Grain.  I continue to be inspired and impressed by their content, as well as extremely flattered at my inclusion among their pages.  As I’ve been recently learning through my current read Doing Nothing: A History of Loafers, Loungers, Slackers, and Bums in America, New Escapologist follows in an old and admirable tradition of magazines urging people to stop fucking working so much already, to escape from the expected.  Those new to the concept of escape can start with Issue 3: Practicalities, and once the addiction has thoroughly set in, move on to the rest of the magazine’s back catalogue (at a 10% discount at the moment).  It is worth every penny.  Really.

Issue 8: Staying In is on the way, and I can’t fucking wait.  Topics in what has apparently turned out to be another 100-pager include: “such homey matters as cottage industry, tea, pajamas, food, integrity, home music production, art collecting, cigars, thought, John Cowper Powys, an interview with artist Ellie Harrison, loads of great artwork, Dickon Edwards, alternative dwellings, BBC Radio’s Steven Rainey, Reggie C. King, and an ominously hanging ‘more…’.”  The bit about alternative housing is a Click Clack Gorilla exclusive.

According to the New Escapologist newsletter, however, a small wrench has fallen into the machinery.  With Issue 8 following Issue 7 so closely, Issue 7 has yet to bring in enough revenue to finance the next printing.  So in order to make that happen more quickly they, and I along with them, are asking folks to preorder a copy, buy the back catalogue, or subscribe.  Everything is available in both print and digital, so hop hop!  Escape theory, tactic, and humor await!  If you are going to support any magazine, then this magazine is a highly worthy candidate.

If you’re still a bit confused about what the hell escapology even means, then take this quote from the magazine’s introduction:

“[Escapology is] about deftly avoiding the potential traps of modern life: debt, stress, unrewarding work, bureaucracy, marketing, noise and over-government.  It’s about embracing freedom, anarchy and absurdity.  It’s about overcoming miserliness, passive-aggression, mauvaise foi and submission.  Escapology asks you to consider the circumstances in which you would most like to live and encourages you to find a way of engineering them.”

And I repeat: “Anarchy, absurdity, and freedom? Now those are three words I can live by. Tattoo them on your chest, put them in your pipe and smoke ‘em, and visit their website immediately and order a subscription of your own.”  The sooner you do, the sooner we’ll all have copies of Issue 8 in our hot little hands.  Pretty please?

Wednesday December 12th 2012, 2:00 pm 5 Comments
Filed under: books,conspiracies

Just fwded this to Nathan so he can buy it for me for x-mas… escaping is definitely on my mind now that the excitement of the first big snowfall has worn off and it sucks to drive or even walk anywhere! Enough to make a girl want to live in a treehouse somewhere tropical for the winter months.

Comment by Frugal Vegan Mom 12.12.12 @ 9:17 pm

Man, I need to get onto them! I pre-ordered the new magazines months ago but haven’t received them. I’ll have to dig through my emails and find my proof of order. Dammit!

Comment by Radical Ramblings 12.12.12 @ 10:06 pm

When I think of absurdity I think of Kafka-esque bureaucracy, cognitive dissonance, and courts interpreting legislation in a way that the drafters never intended, e.g. applying terrorism sentencing enhancements to eco activists who destroy property. Why is absurdity something that anarchists should embrace? I can’t imagine how that is a desirable quality in one’s life.

Comment by Emily 12.12.12 @ 11:22 pm

FVM: Sweet! I hope you enjoy it! As you can tell, I def do.

RR: Oh no! Well I bet if you email the editor you can get it sorted. Although they are using some outside system for orders now I seem to remember. Good luck!

Emily: Interesting, we look at the word absurdity in two totally different ways. For me absurdity, particularly in this context, means taking the mundane or the everyday and exagerrating it in a way that makes it absurd…as in humorous. Sort of a way of having fun while simultaneously being critical. A way of playing, of practical joking on the very things we don’t like. The way you define it, however, I wouldn’t want to have much to do with it either. Now I’m curious about what the dictionary has to say. Maybe I’ve been looking at the word wrong all these years…

The online Merriam Websters is saying: “1
: ridiculously unreasonable, unsound, or incongruous
: having no rational or orderly relationship to human life : meaningless ; also : lacking order or value
: dealing with the absurd (see 2absurd) or with absurdism ”

So your definition is more congruous with the dictionary definition. Still, perhaps when you come at it from the humor side, you could imagine why someone could imagine that it could be a good thing?

Comment by nikki / click clack gorilla 12.13.12 @ 9:44 am

I just tried to connect to the blog and the magazine site and got Google “can’t connect” messages. Tried several more times, same message. Possible that there are issues with connection outside UK/EU? I’ll try again tomorrow.

Comment by Gillianne 12.13.12 @ 5:16 pm