dumpster find of the week: another bundle of blankets

I’ve mentioned the phenomenon before, but I’ll explain in a word for anyone who hasn’t been around for that long: bundles of blankets.  At least once every three months I would find one in the trash across the street from Haus Mainusch.  My theory has always been that international students who are moving out were the ones throwing them away.  Why else would you wrap all your bedding in a fitted sheet and toss in in the trash?  If the bedding had been defiled in some way I might understand.  But we’re talking sheets smelling of detergent.  And the universe continues in its absurdity.

Either way, the phenomenon has resulted in an excess of bedding in my life.  These are the latest finds, hung out to dry after a thorough washing.  Coincidentally, many of them were exactly the same color that I have just painted my Wagen.  I’m going to miss that trash corral, now that we’re in Frankfurt.

Wednesday September 26th 2012, 9:00 am 6 Comments
Filed under: conspiracies,dumpster diving,dumpster finds,freegan

It seems unbelievable the amount of stuff that people just throw away. I’ve never been lucky enough to find blankets or bedding, only bought some at flea markets. Over the years I’ve found mostly furniture, a couple of great tables and some chairs; my mother used to bring home things she found in the thrash, which is pretty incredible, since she’s a bit conservative otherwise(although she also always called the fire department for help when a cat got stranded in a tree or a stray dog turned up). Violet and purple are my favorite colors along with black, so I’m totally jealous of your finds! Hopefully you’ll find new places for finds in Frankfurt.

Comment by Sara 09.26.12 @ 5:07 pm

I lived near student housings in Minnesota and encompassing the migratory patterns of students, the trash bins would miraculously fill with amazing stuff. I thought it was very inconsiderate and crazy until I realized two things (or three, actually): lots of things (bedding included) are impossible to sell second hand; in many places they’re not accepted as donation; they’re quite expensive to haul around in your luggage. So yes, it was nuts but you see, so it’s capitalism.

(oh crap, I said a bad word! someone’s gonna say “nazi” any moment and this discussion will go to hell!)

Comment by Julia 09.26.12 @ 5:22 pm

Sara: If you lived nearby I would totally give them all to you! I mean, they are awesome and we will use them, but we have SO much bedding because of this phenomenon it is starting to get absurd.

Julia: I don’t see anything in your comment that could induce anyone into calling you a Nazi. Capitalism is exactly why this happens. Which in my opinion shows how unpractical capitalism is in so many respects. It is really too bad that international students who are obviously going to have to deal with the issue of what to do with their bedding don’t have some sort of awesome trade situation set up. One leaves and the next takes over their bedding. Of course a lot of people are kind of picky about used bedding anyway, but if I can wash something at 90 degrees celcius, then I don’t have any worries about using it after.

Comment by nikki / click clack gorilla 09.27.12 @ 9:56 am

Much appreciated, Nikki :) As is, perhaps you could open a little Wagen B&B and use any extra bedding for that; I’d come and stay for sure if I was ever in the neighborhood and I’m pretty sure I’m not the only one!

Comment by Sara 09.28.12 @ 5:07 pm

Love the blog, subscribed. :)

Derth means the obvious of what you meant, which would be surplus I assume?

Comment by Jason 10.02.12 @ 12:33 am

It seems so strange that Julia says that it seems almost impossible to sell bedding second hand. I used to work in a thrift store in Utah and blankets sold well, especially when it started getting colder they would fly off the shelves. We even had people who would ask for the donated but “unusable” blankets full of holes, so they could use it as bedding for their dogs. Maybe we’re just more frugal here?

I think a lot of that bedding would be great to recycle/upcycle as pillows, toys, and other things…as well as using it as bedding.

Comment by Sharon 06.05.13 @ 10:21 pm