and now for something completely different

Did you guess it already?  If you remember this post, you might have after reading what I posted yesterday.  I always start getting smitten with the cities I’m living in once I know I’m leaving.  Nothing like moving to make you suddenly appreciate all the finer points of the place you’ve been taking for granted for four years.  Yes indeedy, we’re moving.  To Frankfurt. What?!

Just saying that out loud (or typing it) makes me chuckle.  The Beard hates Frankfurt.  He’s never had a good word to say about it, and yet the move was his idea. What?!  And that brings us to the back story.

Frankfurt happens to be home to two fine Wagenplätze.  One is called Borsig, and you might remember it from my two month stint there.  It was the first Wagen community I lived in.  It is quiet, large (around 40 people if memory serves), and off-grid.  The other is behind a villa-sized squatted house that I have also mentioned before.  It just so happens that the Wagenplatz behind said house is full of kids and space and home to a good friend of ours.  It also happens to be even more luxurious than our current community.  Not only do they have electricity, they have running water.  In Wagens.  WHAT?!?

The Beard has been jonesing for a change of scenery.  He suggested moving for the first time when I was a couple of months pregnant.  NO WAY, I said.  No way I could emotionally handle dealing with any more change than the pregnancy was already dishing out.  Then he asked again.  And again.  Finally I said, hey, if you want to try this so badly, then let’s do it.  It will certainly be practical when it comes to my commute—which will shrink from over an hour to five minutes.  I could even come home for lunch to nurse Pickles, and that is just frickin’ awesome.

Then of course there is the fact that I actually kind of like Frankfurt.  What I didn’t count on was how sad I would find myself feeling about leaving Mainz.  I’ve really found my place here.  I have amazing friends.  Our little community may have its interpersonal troubles, but I feel really good within this group.  I was excited about us moving to a new plot of land together and starting everything from scratch (re: the move).  The whole idea of moving made (makes!) me sad, and nervous.  I know other baby mamas here!  I know where to get raw milk here!  I know what stores sell what shit that I need!  There are fields to walk in!  There is no ginormous city right next door to ensure a lower chance of survival come the zombie apocalypse!  My neighbors are awesome!  There are easy trash pickings right across the street!

But there was one aspect of this Frankfurt Wagenplatz that really got me.  We went to visit it for the first time on a Wednesday.  Our friend introduced us to his son and his son’s mother.  They showed us around.  It was beautiful (then again, it’s easy to fall in love with a Wagenplatz, any Wagenplatz, in the summer).  And the space we could occupy there was huge.  Huge!  Huge like in our community in Mainz eight Wägen occupy the same space.  Fuck running water, that is luxury.

So sometime at the end of the summer we’ll be hitching our Wägen onto the back of a friend’s truck and heading off into the sunset.  There’ll be a new community for me to tell you about, new sheds to build, new dumpsters to explore (Frankfurt has some really sweet edible dumpser diving, tell you what).  I’m still nervous, but change always gives me a lot of energy.  Stay tuned, and wish us luck.

Thursday June 14th 2012, 9:00 am 11 Comments
Filed under: conspiracies,wagenplatz

Exciting! Looking forward to a Wagenplatz portrait with looots of photos – those are the best! Btw, do you take visitors from the Internets? Just wondering since we’re going down to Germany in a few weeks/months. Happy nearly Midsummer! :)

Comment by Lina 06.14.12 @ 11:54 am

Good luck! It will be exciting I am sure and you will make lots of new friends and thoroughly enjoy yourselves I am sure. Can’t wait to read about it when it happens!

Comment by fiona 06.14.12 @ 4:29 pm

I’m so excited for you! What a wonderful adventure. Good luck with it all.

Comment by Radical Ramblings 06.15.12 @ 12:19 pm

Good luck with the move. I have a very good friend in Frankfurt and we’ve been trying to make more of an effort to see each other more regularly. Since I’m single and she’s not, this has mostly translated into me going to visit them (I can decide on a whim to get the train down after work without needing to check with someone else first if they want to come along. Also, they have much more room for guests than I do). Maybe I’ll be able to come and visit you and meet some other Wagenplatz people as well sometimes. Very exciting news. But of coures the relative mobility is one of the advantages of Wagen living, isn’t it?

Comment by Moonwaves 06.15.12 @ 2:21 pm

Oh, how exciting to be moving to a new place. I’ve just been catching up on your posts as I’ve not been on here for a while. I seem to have collected so many blogs to read and reply and I’ve not been getting anything done. Even started my own. I will be seeing my friends next weekend at the city of York and will personally ask him about putting his pictures on your blog.

I hope everything works out for you.

Comment by Anni 06.15.12 @ 10:40 pm

How exciting! We’re also moving, and other changes are on the way, so I’ve been kind of overwhelmed about everything for a while. Now I’ve more or less ‘landed’ and to relax, I came to catch up on what you’ve been up to :) Big changes all around, then. It sounds like a great place and I’m looking forward to hearing about and seeing your new home! Good luck with the move!

Comment by Sara 06.18.12 @ 7:50 am

Thanks to everyone! I’m pretty excited. And so glad that we can just hook our houses up to the back of a truck and go without dealing with packing boxes and the like. Woohoo!

Comment by clickclackgorilla 06.18.12 @ 10:05 am

Ooooh! How exciting! Moving house is much more fun when you move the WHOLE house!

By the way – I’ve nominated you for a Versatile Blogger Award – hope that’s OK – though maybe a Versatile-Home award would have been more appropriate.

Comment by Cathy 06.18.12 @ 8:00 pm

good luck with moving, how nice you get to take your home along

Comment by tess 06.19.12 @ 4:20 pm

Cathy: Whoa really? Sweet! Thanks!

Tess: And thanks to you. It is really nice to just be able to take the whole house.

Comment by clickclackgorilla 06.20.12 @ 9:38 am

hello hello, well, congratulations and cheers to new things. This sounds exciting and positive – especially about the commute…more relaxed time at home = yay.

By the way, Thanks to your linkies and pointer I’m stewarding at the Dark Mountain festie later in the summer. It’ll be stimulating for sure. Probably won’t blog about it – don’t do much of that at present, but if there’s something you want to know about it…

Comment by haveyouseenthisgirl 06.22.12 @ 5:35 pm