wordpress is fucking up blog comments

Is this happening to you, here?  (Not that you’ll be able to tell me if it is.  Sigh.  How annoying.)  I’ve been having problems commenting on a lot of blogs I read lately, and I finally did some research on what’s going on.  Turns out, WordPress changed their commenting system so that if you try to leave a comment with an e-mail address tied to a WordPress account, you need to sign in in order to leave a comment.

But what I’m hearing is that sometimes that doesn’t work.  And that maybe they are going to require everyone to sign in, either with WordPress or Gravatar, in order to leave a comment on a WordPress-run blog.  I think this fucking sucks.  Why make communication even harder, leaving comments even harder?  That is kind of against the point of blogs.  My blog isn’t hosted by WordPress, but I use WordPress to run it.  And now I’m thinking maybe I need to switch to something else.  But what?  Thanks for nothing, WordPress.

If you can leave comments (as some people have been able to—though I did notice a huge dip in comments right when this started happening) what hoops did you have to jump through to do it?  Or were there no hoops?  I’d really appreciate it if all of you just gave it a shot.  Just click on leave a comment, and if you encounter the sign-in and don’t want to deal with it, then don’t.  I will assume that mass silence affirms the issue.  If you are able to leave a comment, let me know if you were signed into WordPress at the time, or needed to sign in, or whatever.  Much obliged!

Thursday April 26th 2012, 1:39 pm 17 Comments
Filed under: conspiracies

I use WordPress as well, but somehow managed to successfully (I hope) deactivate this signing-in to comment thing. On mine, from the Dashboard I went to Settings, then to Discussion. There I unclicked “Users must be registered and logged in to comment” under the Other Comment Setting group. Maybe this will work for you too?

Comment by Mandi 04.26.12 @ 1:48 pm

Also, when I left my previous comment, I wasn’t asked to sign in or anything.

Comment by Mandi 04.26.12 @ 1:49 pm

ho-hummmm… is something going wrong here? I’ll be back in a sec with a second comment with my use-for-work wordpress account (if you pay back a visit, please don’t troll)

Comment by Julia 04.26.12 @ 2:23 pm

Here it is. Everything seems pretty normal, doesn’t it?

Comment by Julia Demasi 04.26.12 @ 2:24 pm

I also hate this new system, having also noticed an immediate drop in commenting. WordPress doesn’t seem to mind. They’ve allowed people to discuss it on their forums (see link) but the topic is now closed.

Comment by ian in hamburg 04.26.12 @ 2:39 pm

Hmm, I have not ben asked to sign in, it lets me just type in my name and email address since I don’t have a blog.

Comment by Emily 04.26.12 @ 3:11 pm

No sign in for me. Just a name and an email…

Comment by m arke 04.26.12 @ 3:13 pm

I am signed in to WordPress now. I just checked my Settings as Mandi described; “Users must be registered and logged in to comment” was unselected, as I had left it. I haven’t noticed a drop in comments, but then, I rarely get comments. If anyone would like to test my comment interface, feel free.

Comment by 'Becca 04.26.12 @ 3:46 pm

Now I’m signed out of WordPress.

Comment by 'Becca 04.26.12 @ 3:49 pm

Looks like I can comment- but I don’t have anything on WordPress.

Comment by Dee 04.26.12 @ 4:01 pm

Didn’t ask me to do anything when I commented yesterday, but I am pretty much always signed into wordpress so its hard to say. I did have trouble on my friend’s blog yesterday but she’s not wordpress she’s google or something so maybe its just the internet.

Comment by fishinthewater 04.26.12 @ 4:18 pm

Excellent! Thanks everyone so far for checking it out. I wasn’t sure if it was happening on here or not. Certainly been happening on enough other places on the internet, and I was getting worried. Still hope WordPress changes that back at some point as it is extremely annoying in the places I’ve had to do it.

Comment by clickclackgorilla 04.26.12 @ 5:02 pm

Seems ok for me too to leave a comment, but I don’t have anything to do with WordPress otherwise.

Comment by Sara 04.26.12 @ 5:53 pm

Well, I just don’t leave comments, when I’m forced to sign/log in. It’s just that easy. (BTW: gegenglueck runs on Serendipity http://s9y.org/ – since I switched from wordpress 5 years ago I never looked back.)

Comment by gegenglueck 04.26.12 @ 6:26 pm

Hi:) I haven’t been asked to sign into wordpress for any of the comments I have left here. The first time commented I filled out the Name, email and URL boxes but now they are always prefilled (besides) the URL. Not sure if that is my browser doing that or not. hope you find a fix soon:)

Comment by Sarah 04.26.12 @ 11:35 pm

I’m on blogger and have been having the same issues, and have problems with both Blogger blogs and WordPress blogs, and just some but not all of either of them, so I haven’t been able to pinpoint the problem but I agree: it sucks!

Comment by paula 04.27.12 @ 2:26 am

I haven’t had any problems leaving comments, but you’re not the first person who has told me about struggling to leave comments on my blog. Stupid wordpress!

Comment by Radical Ramblings 04.28.12 @ 11:06 am