dragon slayer season begins again

Every winter I write about Dragon Slayers. And every winter they keep me from getting sick at least a couple of times (or help me get better asap). When it comes to curing and preventing colds, you could take vitamin C in a tablet made of who knows what from who knows where, or you could take advantage of the magical healing powers of lemon juice, garlic, and chili powder. I promise that it doesn’t taste as gross as it probably sounds.

You can read last year’s post about Dragon Slayers here. Or you can just check out the recipe below, and tell me all about your own diy home remedies in the comments—I’m always looking to expand my arsenal. Here’s to not getting sick this winter.

The Dragon Slayer

Ingredients:
1/2 fresh lemon
1 medium-sized clove garlic, minced
a dash of chili powder

Method:
Squeeze out the lemon and place juice in a small cup. Sprinkle in minced garlic and top with chili powder. Down in one go and marvel at the force of nature that is vitamin c mixed with garlic and sweet, sweet (spicey) chili.

This post was featured on Wildcrafting Wednesday on Mind, Body, and Sole.

Tuesday December 06th 2011, 9:00 am 11 Comments
Filed under: conspiracies,diy,everyday magic,food

Oh the irony! Right after putting together this post I came down with a mild cold. Damn it. But the good news I’ve almost kicked it already. Fingers crossed. We’re playing two shows this weekend, and I really could use a healthy throat before then.

Comment by clickclackgorilla 12.06.11 @ 1:24 pm

If I still had any doubts, I now know for sure that you are a true adventurer …

(My recipe might sound gross to *you*, though, and it doesn’t prevent a cold but makes your life a lot more agreeable once you have it:
- hot water
- rum
- honey
- freshly ground black pepper
- butter (keeps the alcohol in the drink and, surprisingly, tastes nice)

Wrap up warm in bed while drinking it, you’ll soon fall asleep and start sweating like a pig.

Actually, I rarely get to have this, though, as I don’t seem to get colds anymore. When I feel one coming up I use a nose douche several times a day, with salty water and a few drops of grapefruit seed extract. Saves me every time.)

Comment by Sascha 12.06.11 @ 1:30 pm

Well, maybe save the grog for next year. I forgot.

Comment by Sascha 12.06.11 @ 1:32 pm

I am drinking lemon water and put 3 cloves of garlic + cayenne with my lentils tonight if that counts… I agree with the hot toddy method also, whisky + tea + honey.

How often do you take this, or only when sick? Hope you’re feeling better..

Comment by Frugal Vegan Mom 12.07.11 @ 4:51 am

I’ll have to try it, because I use a few home remedies that work well for me.

If my throat is sore, it’s an excuse for a hot toddy (that’s the whiskey, honey and lemon juice thing) but if the soreness starts to creep into my ear canals, I warm salad oil and get it into my ears, which works really well at keeping the infection out of my ears.

For coughs, the following is sickeningly sweet but really works great for quelling a cough, and is a life saver for me with my high blood pressure and not be able to take a lot of OTC stuff:

Chop an onion and cook it in a cup of water until the water is reduced to half a cup. Strain the onion solids out and throw them away. Mix the remaining half cup of hot liquid with equal parts honey. Pour into a glass and sip slowly until it’s all gone.

Comment by paula 12.07.11 @ 6:10 am

Hurrah for home remedies! Funny, you guys hit on the Beard’s two favorites: hot toddies (he likes to use rum for some reason, but I hate rum and am with you all on the whiskey) and onion “tea.” They both do seem to work wonders.

Paula: So do I just heat up a little olive oil and dab it in my ears? Pour it in? This one is already in my ears, well right ear, and I would very much like it to leave. My immune system doesn’t seem to be getting on it, even though this is an incredibly mild cold.

FVM: You can take Dragon Slayers pretty much whenever you would have taken a Vitamin C tablet. Sometimes when I’m especially motivated I’ll drink one every morning. When I’m sick I try to drink two or three a day if I can.

Sascha: Never heard of adding butter to the hot toddy, but I’ll have to try it out. Sounds like it probably makes it even more tasty.

Comment by clickclackgorilla 12.07.11 @ 12:10 pm

Nice! I like to simmer roughly-chopped fresh ginger in some water for just a bit, then add some lemon juice, honey, a pinch of cayenne, and sometimes some rum or whiskey. I especially love using ginger if someone has a fever.

Comment by Hausfrau 12.07.11 @ 2:03 pm

I usually do the honey+ginger+hot water mix. I’d forgotten about the hot toddy. Hmm!

Otherwise, if it’s all up in my sinuses, I go to the local Mexican food place and get some of their freshly made super hot salsa and add a couple tablespoons of that to some soup (chicken noodle or whatever) and eat that. Since I’m not usually a spicy food person, the spices in their salsa get my nose running in short order. Clears me right out while giving me the benefit of the Vitamin C from the chilis. :)

Comment by Jade 12.26.11 @ 9:24 am

[...] dragon slayer season begins again [...]

Pingback by making feet for children’s shoes | click clack gorilla 01.09.12 @ 9:02 am

Here’s a link to my favorite cold and flu remedy… http://www.woodwifesjournal.com/2011/10/herbal-medicine-chest-my-mypos-cure.html
All the goodness of your dragon slayer and a few other ingredients, too. Gross according to one daughter, potent but good according to the other. My husband just steers clear altogether! Thanks for sharing!

Comment by Sharon 01.18.12 @ 4:03 pm

Hey there ;)
1) For a cough- chop fine 1/4 tsp thyme in 1 tsp raw honey and take as needed. If ‘chewing’ the thyme is too much, place the mixture in the fridge for a few minutes and it ‘hardens’ enough to down it like a chewy gooey honey ball lol.. Take as needed! My bf and I had the cough of all coughs 2 yrs ago.. I had read about this in an herbal remedy mag and figured it was worth a try. About ten minutes after taking it, we looked at each other in surprise.. We had suddenly stopped coughing lol :) Lasted about 3 hrs then dosed again! Good stuff ;)
Also, 2) For colds/flus/when you don’t know what’s wrong but don’t feel ‘good’ – 1 tsp rosemary, 1 tsp oregano, 1 tsp basil (lemon is nice) or lemongrass, and bee balm if you have it.. Brew in a tea for ten minutes, add honey/lemon, 3 times a day.. Knocks the sucker out in quick order ;) Oregano/rosemary are potently anti viral/anti- bacterial/anti fungal, basil is anti bacterial, lemon grass is astringent, bee balm is tasty ;)
Works really well, and the bf says he’d drink it.. “even if I didn’t make him,” so means it’s good :)
Best!