gobble gobble gobble

My first Thanksgiving in Germany was a small ordeal. I bought some expensive seitan gyro thing from the grocery store and ate it with a big salad at the little white table in my room with my au pairing host family. No turkey. No family gathering. No pumpkin pie. I didn’t feel particularly sad to not be celebrating the holiday whose mythology, for me, has come to represent the American lie about “our” relationship with the native Americans. But I will admit that I like me a Thanksgiving spread.

I’ve been so entrenched in the American myth surrounding the subject throughout my life, that I didn’t even realize that Thanksgiving, like so many other holidays, was originally a pagan deal that was eventually turned into something else by the Catholic church. Check it:

“The pagans in Rome celebrated their thanksgiving in early October. The holiday was dedicated to the goddess of the harvest, Ceres, and the holiday was called Cerelia. The Catholic church took over the pagan holiday and it became well established in England, where some of the pagan customs and rituals for this day were observed long after the Roman Empire had disappeared. In England the “Harvest Home” has been observed continuously for centuries.

“In our own hemisphere, among the Aztecs of Mexico, the harvest took on a grimmer aspect. Each year a young girl, a representation of Xilonen, The goddess of the new corn, was beheaded. The Pawnees also sacrificed a girl. In a more temperate mood, the Cherokees of the American Southeast danced the Green Corn Dance and began the new year at harvest’s end. No wonder Chief Massasoit and his ninety braves felt right at home with the Pilgrim Fathers on that day in 1621!! Obviously, the idea for this “first Thanksgiving” did not just “pop” into the mind of Governor Bradford as most people believe! On the contrary Thanksgiving, in the guise of the pagan harvest festivals, can be traced right back to ancient Babylon and the worship of Semiramis!” (Source: A buddy of mine. But if you have qualms with the text, I’m sure I can find out where she picked up the quote.)

We probably won’t be doing a ritual sacrifice, but today, for the first time in six years, I’m going to be celebrating with turkey and pumpkin pie and gravy and stuffing—with a gaggle of other expat Americans and an even bigger gaggle of Dutch people along for the ride in Tilburg, Holland. We’ll drink hot applely beverages, bake a heap of pies, and eat until we burst. Celebration of a fictional friendship between European colonizers and native Americans aside, I love me a holiday that revolves around good food and better people. Here’s to a future without any more colonization and with a lot more harvest feasts.

For the Americans reading… Do you celebrate Thanksgiving? Force yourself to attend stressful family gatherings? Boycott on principle?

Thursday November 24th 2011, 9:00 am 6 Comments
Filed under: conspiracies,expat life

One stressful, one not so, as you know… but I made our first turkey since grandma and it seemed to go over pretty well!

Comment by fishinthewater 11.25.11 @ 4:55 am

I wasn’t invited anywhere, so i rode my bike 30 miles and worked up a good appetite for a couple of non-turkey sandwiches.

Comment by Hiker317 11.25.11 @ 6:24 am

I love thanksgiving — it’s not terribly traditional, there is always a non-biological “family” gathering of friends, neighbors, colleagues, and anyone who doesn’t have another place to set their hungry thanksgiving butt! this year it was at my parents’ house, but it rotates from family-friend to family-friend, and wherever it is, it always begins with the reading of a poem (loosely of thanksgiving, sometimes just speaking to our times), and it’s always welcoming and warm.

Comment by annemarie 11.25.11 @ 6:36 am

Ours is just a standard family dinner with the same crappy food, and same crappy non-well intentioned questions about why don’t I eat some turkey on Thanksgiving. Hmph, it was ok though. Actually looking forward more to going to my in-laws today because at least they are polite enough to let me enjoy the food I do choose to eat.

Comment by Frugal Vegan Mom 11.26.11 @ 8:07 pm

I usually celebrate with my family by going to a restaurant and then to the movies but this year I actually cooked and it was pretty fun. I’m also pretty convinced that every holiday has some sort of connection to paganism. Pagans love their parties!

Comment by Ashley 11.28.11 @ 8:18 pm

Some of the most memorable Thanksgivings I’ve ever were not with family but with grad students or interns. The best were our years in the Peace Corps where the volunteers would gather and make a feast for ourselves, speak English and compair notes on living and working in Pamama. Sure there were 18 of us crammed into one cabana and someone did set the roof on fire, but hiking through the cloud forest and getting really cold wet feet up by Volcan Baru is one of my favorite memories from our time as volunteers. I still get goose bumps thinking about it.

Comment by Foy Update: Garden. Cook. Write. Repeat. 11.30.11 @ 7:02 am