friend or foe?

Does anyone know what these are? You see, I am a poor planner. Some of the seeds I planted I didn’t label, assuming that I would remember what had gone where (ha!). Others I did label, and then the labels blew away. And the things that remained neatly labeled decided not to come out of the ground at all.

So before I remove what I am beginning to suspect are really just weeds from my vegetable bed, I thought I’d send a plea for information out to all the other gardeners reading this blog. I could swear that I planted something in this spot, but I couldn’t tell you what, and this plant doesn’t look like anything I’ve grown before (and it looks suspiciously like some weeds I saw growing down the street). But if I end up weeding out what I intentionally planted, well, I’m going to feel rather silly. So here we are. Anyone know?

Monday May 23rd 2011, 8:14 am 9 Comments
Filed under: conspiracies,daily life

It might be alfalfa (lucerne). Officially – Medicago sativa. If you bought seed for germinating sprouts they could have ‘escaped’. Edible – or feed it to your local rabbits…;-)))

Comment by Andrea 05.23.11 @ 11:23 am

pretty sure they are the same weeds I let go in my garden to see what they’d turn out to be, they got very tall before I tore them out, this was last year

See yougrowgirl forums or past entries to see if any mention/ID

Comment by tess 05.23.11 @ 4:38 pm

Look kind of like weeds to me…

Comment by fishinthewater 05.23.11 @ 5:01 pm

did you plant any peas? looks a little like that

Comment by Trish 05.24.11 @ 1:52 am

It looks to me like it might be a type of wood sorrel (shamrock). Edible as a salad green if you mix it with other things but yes, technically a weed.

Comment by sara 05.24.11 @ 4:04 am

They look alot like peas. did you plant any?

Comment by David 05.25.11 @ 3:50 am

Wood sorrel has heart shaped leaves. I thought it was peas at first glance, but it could be alfalfa. They’re related. Either way – leave ‘em. If it’s alfalfa it will attract pollinators and fix nitrogen in the soil, which is good for everything else in the garden.

Comment by Rachele 05.25.11 @ 5:02 am

P.S. You’ll know when they blossom. Alfalfa gets sort of puffy clusters of blooms. Pea blossoms have simple, wide, flat petals. I heart peas.

Comment by Rachele 05.25.11 @ 5:12 am

Thanks for all the input guys! I was quite chagrined when I looked up from the dinner table on the very same day that I posted this and noticed that the tree next to the garden has exactly the same sort of leaves…

Guess that mystery is solved.

Comment by clickclackgorilla 05.25.11 @ 9:40 am