looking for some fame and glory?

Yesterday I received an e-mail from a casting agent looking for people to be a part of a documentary-style television show about foragers, freegans, dumpster divers, scammers, and traders—pretty much anyone who gets food into their belly for free. I offered to post their casting call here, in case any of the clever eaters who stop by here daily are looking for some fame and glory.

Personally, I’m not sure I can even handle the thought of being featured on a “major cable network.” Having hundreds of people read my writing is one thing, but knowing that thousands are watching my face and listening to my voice on cable sounds downright creepy. I am much better with words when I don’t have to say them out loud. But for those of you who are eloquently vocal and are looking for a little television exposure, here’s the casting call they sent me:

“All-new docu-reality series seeking people who eat for FREE!

Do you get a thrill out of spending little to no money on food?

Do you dedicate your life to scoring meals in clever ways?

Have you perfected the art of dumpster diving, coupon clipping to an obsessive degree, or bartering your way to a full stomach?

Do you crash events, meetings and open houses just for the free feast?

This all-new series for a major cable network will explore the lives of people who have mastered the art of eating for free. We will follow individuals who dedicate their lives to acquiring food in crafty ways and revel in the thrill of their success.

If you are a resourceful renegade who has forged a way of living that enables you to eat practically for free, whatever your reason/strategy may be, we want to meet you!

To be considered, please send us your name and contact info, along with a brief bio explaining your specific situation and approach to eating for free. Make sure to include a recent photo of yourself and send email to: castingcookie@gmail.com.”

And for anyone who isn’t really into eating for free, what do you think? Can you fathom being on a reality television show? Would you jump at the chance or find the thought mildly disturbing?

Thursday April 21st 2011, 7:00 am 6 Comments
Filed under: conspiracies,dumpster diving,food,freegan

Hate reality shows. More than mildly disturbing….

Comment by paula 04.21.11 @ 7:12 am

Amen, Paula. I do wonder, too, what a tv show on this subject does to the people’s source of food. In many cases, perhaps closes windows of opportunities as managers or organizers or whoever realize what windows they’ve been leaving open and close them. Ideally, you could say, yeah it might help people who don’t live this way not automatically stereotype the folks who do live this way as dirty or gross or awful, but I don’t know. Reality television has a tendency to scandalize things. Just look at that show Hoarders. Seems the people on it do seem to have quiet serious issues, but it then brings down the whole concept of hoarding in general. Don’t save shit! Throw away everything! Decluttering tends to lead to lead to more consumerism than not decluttering. Anyway. Ramble ramble.

Comment by clickclackgorilla 04.21.11 @ 9:37 am

Sounds highly sensationalistic. Would you expect them to give any insight into why there is so much waste embedded into the system? All I can see are close-ups of people digging into dodgy-looking dish.

Comment by ian in hamburg 04.21.11 @ 10:08 am

That is a very good question Ian, one I’m going to send on to the casting agent who sent me this. Because that would make all the difference. Or at least a bit of a difference.

Comment by clickclackgorilla 04.21.11 @ 1:25 pm

I would be wary because you never know how they’ll edit it and portray you. But I’d do it if they paid enough money. People who watch shitty reality tv are going to regardless, and if my being one more face on that screen will help me get out of debt, I’d take the offer.

Comment by Frugal Vegan Mom 04.21.11 @ 8:45 pm

I’d rather get hit by a bus. Lightly, but indeed, a bus.

Comment by Israel Walker 05.12.11 @ 3:18 am