oh crap, my roof is leaking

To my horror, removing a bowl from a shelf the other day revealed stains on the light colored wood. Water stains. Oh crap. A leaky roof is one of my worst building nightmares.

But! Panicky though this discovery made me, I am already fairly certain as to the cause. You see, I never entirely finished battening down the roof onto the siding, and this corner is particularly exposed to the elements. (I know, I know. All the builders out there are shaking their heads and asking why I didn’t get this done last fall. I am asking myself the same thing.) Below is a shot of the same corner from outside. No doubt rain water has just been dripping out of the rain gutter and blowing right in.

Looks like I have my first spring building project. Luckily I still have a bundle of wood from the time we dumpster dived at the building supply store, and it is probably just the right thickness for screwing onto the top of the siding and then screwing the metal roof onto. Or so I hope. Next up: coating the siding with another layer of fuck-off-rain-water and finishing the floor insulation.

How do all you people with houses manage it? It’s all I can do to maintain my little ship, and as you can see, I barely keep up. This fact, above anything else, is what I imagine will keep me in a Wagen for years to come. There is a lot to love about this Wagen life: how much time I end up spending outside, how little I need to spend on heating and rent, how cozy and flexible the space is. But in the end what really seals the deal is that the scale of the building allows me to—more or less—handle all the maintenance myself. The thought of dealing with a house (and having to learn about things like septic systems, plumbing, and stone walls) is intimidating to say the least. Three cheers for the diy house folks!

Friday February 18th 2011, 7:45 am 7 Comments
Filed under: conspiracies,daily life,diy,trailer rennovation project,wagenplatz

Oh no! Hope you can get it fixed up.

Comment by Jen 02.18.11 @ 1:13 pm

I’m sure you can fix it when the weather permits. I am the owner of a small house in a tiny village in the Laurentians in Québec and yep…there’s always something…and it adds up $$$
Marie

Comment by marie 02.18.11 @ 3:52 pm

Good luck!
We moved in May from an 800 sq ft condo to a 1200 sq ft house, and let me tell you – even though we rent there’s still SO much more to keep up with! I often wonder how people with the larger homes do it all.

Comment by Jane@ The Borrowed Abode 02.18.11 @ 4:11 pm

I live in a very old farmhouse, with a very old barn. There are times when I have felt entirely overwhelmed by problems (house related). Like last winter when we replaced our furnace, and then had tons of rain, which seeped into the basement. The outlet hose from the sump pump froze, so I resorted to hauling the water out and up icy stairs in buckets, into weather that had turned sub zero. so many other things. it can be scary.

Comment by Trish 02.18.11 @ 4:15 pm

We live in a small (less than 700 sq ft) house that’s about 100 years old. We’ve done all the repairs and maintenance on our own…learning as we go. It’s never ending but satisfying to do it yourself. I wouldn’t change a thing.

Comment by Lisa 02.18.11 @ 7:57 pm

Ha, cheers to you for being so resourceful!

I claim complete girly weakness on this topic and make my husband or dad (who is a contractor!) to handle any problems we have.

Maybe if they weren’t around I’d learn to be more self sufficient and less pathetically dependent!

Comment by Frugal Vegan Mom 02.18.11 @ 8:21 pm

FVM: I used to be just like that. It took necessity to really force me to learn all this stuff. Pain in the arse as it was, I do feel pretty proud about it now. And am even more in awe of the badass ladies I live with. A few of them are INSANE at building things. Up the ladies with power tools, haha.

Everybody else: Wishing you all had blogs so I could spy on your house projects. I never would have thought that building stuff would become one of my favorite topics of conversation. :)

Comment by clickclackgorilla 02.19.11 @ 1:53 pm