dumpster find of the week: antique tins

Found in the metal bin at the university trash corral. If I was motivated enough, I could probably make a decent living harvesting and selling all the scrap metal that lands in that bin. That same day I found a ton of other less photogenic but highly useful goodies: lighters, candles, pencils, and a metal hip flask.

What have you found in the trash recently?

It’s time for show and tell. I want to hear about what you’ve found in the trash. In fact, I want to make this whole “dumpster find of the week” post into a forum where we all get to brag about our dumpster booty while secretly weeping over hearts broken by the wastefulness of this, our time and place, and I want to do it together here on this blog.

So my lovelies, this means you! I know that some of you are long-time divers and that some of you are probably curious about giving that old trash pickin’ a try. In the words of the esteemed Dolly Freed: “It’s feasible. It’s easy. It can be done. It should be done. Do it.” Get out there and try your hand at dumpster diving. Take a look around your place. Take some pictures of your dumpster booty, and send ‘em to nicolettekyle (at) yahoo (dot) com with some words about where and how you found the stuff in the picture and what you’re going to do with it. And for safety’s sake, better put “dumpster find of the week” in the subject line.

Tell me a little bit about yourself if you’d like (I’ll keep things as anonymous or blatant as you indicate I should). Tell me about your first time diving, your favorite dumpster, or anything else that seems appropriate at the time. I’ll take your emails and your photos and turn them into a blog post that will show up here, one each Wednesday until one of us stops caring.

Submitting your photos and words to me indicates that you have legal rights to said pictures and words, and that you are giving me legal permission to post your pictures and quote your words on Click Clack Gorilla. If you don’t hear back from me within a week, it means the internet ate your mail and you should try again. So! Get out there and start taking some trashy photos. I can’t wait to see what turns up. It’ll be a regular vicarious dumpster divers’ Christmas.

Want to see some other “dumpster find of the week” posts?
Shipping crates (turned shed)
A kitchen workspace/shelving unit (later given to someone for their workshop)
And the gift that keeps on giving: “the dumpster find ‘o the season”

Wednesday January 05th 2011, 7:30 am 7 Comments
Filed under: conspiracies,dumpster diving,dumpster finds,freegan

Those tins are fantastic! I’ve never dived into a dumpster…but have some good trashy finds from the side of the road. I think…I’ll have to try and remember.

Comment by Jane@ The Borrowed Abode 01.05.11 @ 4:34 pm

Trash from the side of the road pictures sound good to me. Send some along once you’ve scoured your gray matter. :)

Really curious how old those Fisherman’s Friends tins are. I’ve never seen any like it. Perhaps my time has finally come to get rich selling antique dumpster finds on ebay. Hahahaha.

Comment by clickclackgorilla 01.05.11 @ 4:53 pm

I prefer getting rid of things. I have a pile for the second-hand store now. Should I send any of it to you?!

Comment by giseladabomb 01.05.11 @ 11:51 pm

Ha! Nice idea, although considering the cost of postage it’s probably a better idea to give them to the second hand store. If you have a ton of crap getting rid of stuff is good too. Glad you’re giving it to a second hand shop–that’s what I really don’t understand about what I find in the trash. I can understand what motivates people to need to or want to get rid of things, but then why don’t they give them to the damn second hand store or homeless shelter?!!? Ah well, rant rant rant. :)

Comment by clickclackgorilla 01.06.11 @ 10:33 am

I am also not keen on paying the postage, but I bet you could use some of the stuff.

I don’t agree with the statement, “If you have a ton of crap, getting rid of stuff is good, too.” It is actually because I regularly go to the “Mamamini” to donate things that I don’t have a ton of stuff.

I may not have many more possessions in my little Dutch room than you do in your wagon, if you don’t count the furniture I was forced to procure after moving off of the boat. So I hope that you would not consider what I have a “ton of crap.” Especially since it is literally all I have in this world. (I only have a few organized boxes of yearbooks, German books, and CDs at my parents’ house in the States. Compare this to your average young adult, who usually still has a room or attic full of stuff at their parents’.) It is really important for me to never have a 3 bedroom house with dining room and appliances and oodles of knic knacs. Hence the small pile in my corner: an old winter hat, crappy candles that came with my office Christmas gift, a cheap tea pot that has been replaced by a fancy one from my trip to Japan, a stuffed monkey that someone gave me who I’m not really friends with anymore, etc.

Anyway, if you ever want to discuss my obession with regulating the amount of possessions I own and how I came to be this way, I’d be happy to. I hope you realize that people end up with stuff, even if they don’t go out and buy it. Now that I’m regularly reading your blog, I’m thinking even more of how I can make a smaller impact on the “environment.” Oh, and maybe you already know about it, but I can recommend Annie Leonard’s book the Story of Stuff (and all of her online videos) for your 2011 book list.

Comment by giseladabomb 01.06.11 @ 3:06 pm

Gisi: I didn’t mean that statement that you disagreed with quite as literally as I am interpreting that you’ve understood it. When I wrote it I was thinking the general “you” like when people have a lot of stuff, seems like a logical thing to sometimes want to get rid of it. As in, I can follow the logic of people who talk about decluttering and getting rid of stuff so that they can live more simply. Yes, that last sentence there is just what I meant. But maybe explained further you still disagree with it. Either way I still felt I should clarify my flippant use of language. :)

At the same time, decluttering doesn’t make any sense to me if it means people are going to then go out and buy more things that they will eventually declutter, and etc and on and on in a vicious circle of buying and getting rid of. I recall you being incredibly organized and can hardly imagine you having anything to donate at all to be honest, especially since you’ve also moved across the ocean with a suitcase. But I reckon its because you’re so organized that your stuff will end up at a second hand shop and that lots of other people’s stuff ends up in the trash.

Good point on people ending up with lots of stuff they didn’t buy…gifts and the like. How do you deal with that stuff? I hate the unwanted gift situation. I always love the people who give me things and am happy for their intentions and don’t want to offend by, for example, giving one of their presents away, but I hate having stuff around that I don’t want or need and I’m not very sentimental about that sort of thing, so I usually end up regifting in the end. Actually though, its been years since anyone besides my mom (who always asks what I want) has given me anything but gift certificates or money, which seems like the best solution to the whole unwanted gift problem.

Funny you should mention Story of Stuff, I just started watching a video the author made the other day. Smart lady, seems.

The next time I see you I am going to take you up on discussing your obsession with regulating your stuff and how you came to be that way. I am totally obsessive compulsive about the things that I have around me, and especially about their aesthetic, but I have no idea how I came to be that way, and I will, in turn, tell you all about when that conversation finally occurs should it interest you.

Whoa, comment marathon. Time to get off the internet. ‘Night.

Comment by clickclackgorilla 01.06.11 @ 11:20 pm

Oh but one more thing: what are these things you speak of me possibly needing that you want to get rid of anyway? My curiosity is peaked (that is totally the wrong way to spell what I mean there, but I can’t figure out how to actually spell what I mean so I hope you know what word I mean and we can all forget about this really long and stupid parenthetical that I’m writing here), though I can’t think of much of anything that I need so much that I can’t wait for it to show up in the trash.

Comment by clickclackgorilla 01.06.11 @ 11:23 pm