ab nach amieland!

Nervous energy. Everywhere. Right down to my fingertips. Tomorrow morning I will get on a plane in Frankfurt, and tomorrow afternoon I will get off of a plane in New Jersey. When I think about it even just a little I am still completely astounded by the concept of flying. Every single time.

It has been two years since I last set foot in the U.S.of.A., and I have a poll running: who will be the one with the worst case of culture shock? I’m betting on myself. It’ll be a close win, though, as the Beard has never set one single toe there.

I remember the details, and I explain them to others. “You’re gonna have a hell of a time finding rolling tobacco and papers,” I say. “The beds in America have one big blanket instead of two. And the pillows are rectangular not square,” I say, a side note. “But there’s not going to be any public transportation there,” I explain. But what I don’t really remember is how I feel in America, or what it’s like to speak English every day of the week. The things there will be familiar, yet far-off, intimate memories yet still not daily normalities.

The trip looks something like this: New Jersey, Tennessee, North Carolina, Kentucky, Nebraska, Maryland, New York, and finally, back to the arm pit of the earth to fly home again at the end of October. Two months! Two! And yet when I start to list off all of the things we’ll do and all of the places we’ll see, it starts sounding like far too little time.

Monday August 30th 2010, 6:44 pm 7 Comments
Filed under: america,conspiracies,gorilla travel

…well…I for one am VERY excited as well! Two years? It seems like longer for some reason. I’m hoping you and the Beard plan on playing/singing. I’m of course having anxiety about having enough time to play & work, making healthy meals that everyone can enjoy and impressing on M. that there are SOME parts of NJ that are un-armpitish. Here’s to your safe arrival and your happy 2 month voyage through the colonies!

Comment by La Flor de Mal 08.30.10 @ 7:04 pm

YAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAY!!!

Comment by fishinthewater 08.31.10 @ 3:14 pm

You’re gonna be in KY?? Where? Also, why? If it’s this end, I will totally buy you a drink.

Comment by Spork 09.03.10 @ 6:22 pm

my bed has lots of blankets! in the wintertime…

Comment by Cara Mae 09.04.10 @ 3:02 am

whoa! i don’t know why you’d want to come to Nebraska, but if you find yourself near Omaha, i’ve got outdoor hammocks and an indoor couch for you here in Omaha. typewriter, mandolin, fruits & veggies, rectangular AND square pillows included.

Comment by loess 09.12.10 @ 10:20 pm

loess: ack! my website was down the whole time we were in the area, we could have met up! we spent the evening before and the day of our flight to baltimore in omaha with nothing much to do. ah well, the internet fates (aka me forgetting to renew my website then not knowing about a little detail i had to change to make it work again once i did) said it shan’t be so. hope all is well.

Comment by fishinthewater 10.08.10 @ 10:11 pm